Thanks to an invite to a press event on Saturday (25th June) at 6 am (thanks Korean time difference!), I got to see a PUBG developer talk and demo of the new 8×8 map. Deston (internally codenamed Kiki) is due to be released on July 13th 2022, and it looks like Krafton/PUBG Corporation has found a balance that might just make Deston the best map yet.
I’m a sucker for an 8×8 map and there’s never really been a PUBG map that I don’t like, but they all seem designed for specific gameplay, close-range combat, and long-range combat. Travel and vehicle use etc. Deston is all of that and seems to be designed to consider multiple areas in one map, each designed to change how encounters take place.
Deston is a new map, yes. However, it’s more than that, it’s bringing weapons, gameplay changes and new vehicles, too.
The press release will detail all of the changes, but I wanted to add some thoughts to what’s coming with the Deston release, to hopefully put a bit of context around it and PUBG as a whole.
I hate to mention it in the same breath as a PUBG piece, particularly as they’re become so separate in how they deliver the battle royale experience…..however, I can really see some Fortnite influence here. It’s not a bad thing, in fact, it’s made PUBG even more appealing to me.
If PUBG was going to be a one-map game like Fortnite, Deston could be the one to achieve that. The variety of areas, towns, cities and even swamps. A concert area, high-rise buildings and tight streets, into dry and open areas. All encounters will be different. You’re not thinking “oh yeah, it’s this map, so I’ll loot up for close combat”. Deston is all about variety, and honestly, it seems to be aimed a bit more towards some fun.
Changes to scaling high buildings, and being able to zip up the new “ascender” and then get launched into the sky for another parachute glide, mean that you’re likely more mobile than ever. New vehicles (including a hovercraft and police car (with siren and lights!) mean you have new options, too.
Adding the always-equipped emergency parachute so you can jump off skyscrapers and escape, or get launched whenever required to glide around. You’re suddenly enabled to have some pace and cover ground easily. It also means that Deston is giving you more opportunities and approaches for attacking. Get a drop on someone from the top of a building instead of just dying from the fall!
Added areas specifically for the drone to become more useful, mean that you can get hidden/inaccessible gear that otherwise couldn’t be collected.
Deston is taking queues from some of its battle royale peers, and I think PUBG may be better off for it in the long term. I’m really excited for this one and cant wait to see how it pans out (PUBG frying pan pun intended).
Here’s the official press release from PUBG about Deston the “Tallest and densest 8×8 map ever created for PUBG Battlegrounds”.
KRAFTON, Inc.’s PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS has formally announced its newest map, Deston, is launching on July 13.
Players have seen sneak peeks of the partially flooded, futuristic megacity map through Developer Letters and creative assets, however, players can now get an in-depth look of Deston, which was revealed by Dave Curd (Creative Director at PUBG Studios) and Michael Gilardi (Lead of PUBG’s World Development Unit Madison) during a streamed Dev Talk event on June 25th 2022.
Below is a rundown of Deston and all the new features that were shown throughout the Dev Talk.
New Map: Deston
Several elements and feedback from Haven were taken into consideration when designing the 8×8 map to ensure the look, feel and mechanics are PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS-worthy. Deston is the largest, tallest and densest map the game has ever seen.
Throughout a match on Deston, players will experience dense urban settings with tall vertical buildings to rolling hills, plains and newly designed swamps. The map aims to deliver the sweet spot between fun gameplay and immersing players in realistic battlegrounds. Deston will challenge players to learn each biome of the map to understand how it will challenge them to consider different gear, vehicles and cover in order to claim a Chicken Dinner. See below for a more detailed look into the new biomes of Deston.
- The Swampland – In the northern part of the map, PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS’ first-ever swampland has been created. This area is a unique environment, filled with new experiences for players. The dense and lush mangrove forest calls for many engagements to occur in close quarters.
- Central Plains – The central plains provide the traditional experience that players have come to know and love. Similar to Erangel and Taego, this area strikes a balance between cover, scenery and points of interest (POI) for players to explore. Located within the Central Plains is the Lodge POI and it’s the biggest building ever made in the game. Players can hot-drop into the Lodge and experience how some hunters become the hunted.
- Concert District – Party goers will have a ball in the Concert District as players will find a gigantic chicken balloon floating in the air. The Paintball Arena will also provide opportunities for short, medium and long-distance engagements. Players will want to familiarize themselves with this POI as it may come to the Team Deathmatch Mode lineup in the future.
- Western Highlands – Marksmen will enjoy what the Western Highlands area has to offer as players’ sniper and designated marksman rifle skills will be put to the test. With minimal plants and a broad level of visibility, unsuspecting players may find themselves in the middle of the crosshairs. The winding hills and the dry, rocky atmosphere in the deserted coastal island area will allow for more cover and hide-and-seek encounters.
New Movement Mechanics and Features
- Ascender – An entirely new movement mechanic is coming to PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS to transport players around Deston when the map officially launches. The Ascender is a motorized pulley and players can expect to find them attached to the wall of certain buildings, including special Cell Towers. This new mechanic will allow players to seamlessly traverse from the ground to the top of a building and back down. Additionally, players will not have to carry any special items to utilize the Ascenders and its speed can be adjusted by the sprint key.
- Emergency Parachute – There’s no point in creating the tallest buildings ever introduced in PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS if you can’t jump off them – which is why the always-on Emergency Parachute was created for players to jump from Deston’s heights without fear. The Emergency Parachute is a default item in players’ inventories and remains always-on, so the parachute will redeploy for players who may snag their parachute while dropping into the map and save them from the ground ending the match prematurely. Additionally, the special Cell Towers that have Ascenders on them will allow players to combine the Ascender with the Emergency Parachute and create a slingshot-like movement to travel around the map.
- Gas Pump Stations – Deston will introduce working gas stations for players to fill up vehicles as they’re travelling around the map. However, be warned that these Gas Pump Stations can experience the full effect of Michael Bay explosions if they are shot at.
New Tactical Gear: Blue Chip Detector
The Blue Chip Detector arrives as the newest Tactical Gear option with the launch of Deston! The Blue Chip Detector is a close-quarters version of the Spotter Scope, which will help players detect the location of opposing players within a certain radius. However, due to the delay in detection, the Blue Chip Detector does not display other players’ locations in real-time and it won’t show the exact vertical position when used in urban districts. The core gameplay of PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS remains a top priority and feedback around the new Tactical Gear will be monitored closely once players get their hands on it.
Like all maps, Deston brings two new, exclusive weapons for players to get their hands on and try out during matches. The Origin 12 is a slug shotgun with superior accuracy and range to make it more efficient across all areas of the map. The MP9 is a new, high-powered SMG that specializes in close-quarter situations.
Deston was created to give players a wide variety of gameplay experiences and it arrives in PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS on July 13. Stay tuned for more features to be announced in tandem with the official launch and check out footage of the developer build that was shown in the Developer Showcase.
More information on PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS is available at emea.battlegrounds.pubg.com and on official social media channels: YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Twitch, and TikTok.
For more gaming news, click right HERE.