Online pokies are virtual versions of the good old fashioned one-armed bandits (i.e. slots) that captivated the hearts of many people who visit casinos. The number of options to choose from is hard to count, but the sheer variety of pokies often leaves gamblers confused. Beginners do not know what to pay attention to, and experienced players are somewhat finicky.
All categories of gamblers want the game to bring fun and lead to financial success. But how do we make the best choice when playing online pokies?
In this article, we take a look at several important parameters, from visual content to technical characteristics and bonuses.
Classification of pokie machines at online casinos
The first thing you should pay attention to is the type of pokie machine in an online casino. The main two are:
- Classic (3 reels, sparse set of bonus options);
- Video pokies (5 or more reels, a variety of features).
RTP and volatility
Return To Player Percentage (RTP) is a mathematical calculation of how much money is returned to the player compared to the total amount spent on bets in a particular pokie.
The higher the RTP, the better the overall results of the player and the lower the advantage of the casino, so you should look for titles with the highest RTP (at least 95%). You can check the level of RTP in the information section of the selected machine. Sometimes RTP is indicated by casinos themselves for the convenience of customers.
Also, it is advised to always check the volatility of a slot game. This parameter covers three aspects: payout frequency, the size of the prize and the risk level of the game.
The main levels of volatility (risk) in pokies are:
- High – large but infrequent wins.
- Medium – more frequent medium-sized rewards.
- Low – payouts are frequent, but the amount is relatively small.
Choose a game depending on how much you’re willing to spend on the game, how long you plan to spin the reels and what experience you count on.
Features of the pokie machine
Pokie game developers such as NetEnt and PlayTech are competing in creativity and trying to diversify the gameplay as much as possible, including through special characters and bonuses.
All special images have additional features, namely:
- Wild – These symbols replace missing (basic) symbols to complete winning lines;
- Scatter – Several of these symbols appearing on reels usually activates a feature such as a free spins round;
- Bonus Icons (Bonus) – When these symbols appear, they start the bonus game;
- Jackpot – These symbols bring in a prize round for the jackpot, and in some cases – instantly gives a big win.
Presence of bonuses in the pokies
Most of the machines in online casinos are similar in terms of interface, but in terms of prize features, they are different. The most popular bonuses and features in pokie machines include:
- Multipliers – Increases the prize amount (from x2 to x100 or more);
- Free Spins (or Freespins) – Rewards a series of free spins on the reels;
- Bonus Round for Money – For a fee, the player can start the bonus game on their own;
- Progressive Jackpot – A community jackpot that grows gradually, as a small percentage of each bet from every player goes to its formation.
Casino pokies are a lot of fun to play. This group of games is very diverse, so the key is to understand your preferences and assess your financial capabilities to make the right choice.
Pokie behaviour can be tested in a trial mode at an online casino. The demo version offers the game with fake credits, which allows you to understand the prize features and abilities of the symbols without investing personal money.
For even more gambling-related articles, click right HERE.