“In our age there is no such thing as “keeping out of politics.” All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia.” – George Orwell
Seventy-five years after George Orwell’s classic literary novel Animal Farm was first published in 1945, his influential story can now be experienced by gamers with the launch of PC and mobile versions today.
Licensed by the Orwell Estate, with the approval of the official Orwell Foundation, and developed by Indie Development Collective The Dairymen and Nerial – creators of the BAFTA-nominated Reigns series – Animal Farm is a narrative, choice-based game that puts players at the centre of a revolution. By choosing which of the animals’ wishes they follow – and who is ignored or sidelined – players will influence the critical events that define the fate of Manor Farm. Players must devise strategies to balance resources, defend the farm, and keep the animal population happy.
This is a knowingly political act of game development: The Dairymen co-founder Imre Jele grew up in Hungary behind the Iron Curtain, where he experienced totalitarianism first-hand. The development team has watched with dismay as they’ve seen alternative truths, fact manipulation, and populism deployed in numerous countries around the world in the last decade or so. And they feel that Orwell’s allegory has never been more relevant.
Imre Jele – Project Founder added :
“We’ve watched 2020 unfold with despair and with a growing dread that our game is becoming more and more relevant every day. Even after a decade of populism, oppression and totalitarianism on the rise, it felt more vital than ever to bring Orwell’s study of inequity, control, and corrosive power to gamers.”
Emily Short – writer added:
“Videogames excel at answering ‘what if?’ questions. Our goal was to capture Orwell’s observations in a form that players can explore. We want players to experience the different animals’ viewpoints through the choices they make. Like this, our version of Animal Farm will bring the timeless fable to a new generation.”
George Orwell said in 1945:
“Can you not understand that liberty is worth more than just ribbons?”
– George Orwell, Animal Farm
Key features of George Orwell’s Animal Farm videogame include:
Pick Your Own Adventure
- Experience a dynamic story that chooses the next scene depending on what’s happened so far. Each scene, in turn, changes what happens next.
- Cultivate, subvert, or sacrifice the different animals who live on Manor Farm and see their different political strategies play out.
- Guide Manor Farm through seven years of Animalism. Can the player avoid political manipulation and descent into decadence?
- Manage the affairs and feelings of Manor Farm’s animals as the fortunes of the farm evolve.
Strategically manage the resources and the defence of Manor Farm
- Rally against the two-legged enemy: human beings.
- Prepare for battle by building the Farm’s defences and increasing resources production, including building the novel’s famous Windmill.
- Idyllic springs, sweet summers, golden autumns, and bitter winters must all be navigated in each passing year as Animalism marches on.
Multiple Endings and unlockable achievements
- Experience the political machinations of the pigs’ Animalism: Surveillance, Reeducation, or Bloodbaths.
- Reach up to six destinies and uncover eight different endings.
- Complete all 48 achievements in the Farm’s handbook.
- Bring in new creatures to the Republic of Animals, and open up new possibilities for the direction of the Farm.
Price and Formats
- Steam, Humble, GMG and Epic Games Store $9.99 £7.99 €9.99 (NB: there is a launch discount of 10% discount which expires in seven days)
- App Store, Google Play, and Amazon’s App Store: $3.99 £3.99 €3.99.
The indie developer collective behind the game consists of The Dairymen (Andy Payne founder of Just Flight, AppyNation and Imre Jele founder of Bossa Studios), and Nerial, the creators of the BAFTA-nominated Reigns series, who bring their unrivalled skills in streamlined and powerful storytelling to Animal Farm. The writer Emily Short added her expertise and voice to the project. Actor Abubakar Salim (Assassin’s Creed: Origins) provided the game’s narration. Salim’s performance was directed by Kate Saxon (Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture, Alien: Isolation, The Witcher 2 & 3 and others).
Grab the game on Steam here.
Check out our review of the game HERE.
For more gaming news, check out our dedicated section HERE.