Konami Digital Entertainment, B.V. today announced the final four classic Contra titles that comprise the complete Contra Anniversary Collection. Delivering some of the most iconic games in the franchise, including Contra (known as Gryzor on NES in Europe), Contra: Hard Corps, and Contra III: The Alien Wars, the full collection brings a diverse set of Contra classics that will be available as digital exclusives through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Live, Nintendo Switch eShop, and Steam for PC at RRP £15.99.
The full catalogue of titles in the Contra Anniversary Collection includes:
- CONTRA (Arcade)
- SUPER CONTRA (Arcade)
- SUPER C (NES)
- CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS (SNES)
- CONTRA: HARD CORPS (Sega Genesis)
- CONTRA (NES)
- · CONTRA (Famicom)
- · OPERATION C (Game Boy)
- · PROBOTECTOR (Sega Mega Drive)
- · SUPER PROBOTECTOR: ALIEN REBELS (Super Nintendo)
- · Bonus eBook
Newly announced for the collection:
- CONTRA: HARD CORPS (Sega Genesis) – A new direction in the franchise where for the first time players can choose from among four unique characters. This title also retains a primary side-scrolling perspective vs the featured overhead segments in earlier Contra titles. Additionally, the story is advanced through cutscenes and includes branching paths requiring players to make decisions within key stages.
- CONTRA (NES) – Fans can revisit the classic NES version of this original CONTRA title on current consoles, chock full of new content and added features from the arcade version.
- CONTRA (Famicom) – Also coming to the collection is the Famicom version of the original CONTRA game. This title also includes updated content and features from the arcade version, but also presentation updates from the NES version.
- OPERATION C (Game Boy)– The first handheld title in the franchise, this title is an original entry to the series and also the first to feature the now famous homing gun to save the world from a pending alien threat.
- PROBOTECTOR (Sega Mega Drive)– Originally launched in Europe, the two protagonists, Bill and Lance, were replaced with robotic counterparts along with many of the human enemies in the game. The two new protagonists, RD008 and RC011, were affectionately known as Probotectors.
- SUPER PROBOTECTOR: ALIEN REBELS (Super Nintendo) – A European launch of the well-regarded CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS, this title also takes advantage of the robotic protagonists RD008 and RC011 and delivers the classic features introduced by CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS such as holding two guns at once, top-down gameplay levels, and shooting in eight directions at will.
Much like the recently launched Castlevania Anniversary Collection, players who purchase the Contra Anniversary Collection will also receive Japanese versions of six of the titles:
- CONTRA (Arcade)
- SUPER CONTRA (Arcade) – known as SUPER CONTRA: ALIEN NO GYAKUSHU in Japan
- SUPER C – known as SUPER CONTRA in Japan
- CONTRA III: THE ALIEN WARS – known as CONTRA SPIRITS in Japan
- OPERATION C – known as CONTRA in Japan
- CONTRA: HARD CORPS – known as CONTRA: THE HARD CORPS in Japan
The additional games will arrive as a free update for all players who have purchased the game. Launch timing for the Contra Anniversary Collection is still slated for this summer.
The Contra Anniversary Collection is part of KONAMI’s 50th anniversary celebration and compiles titles from its beloved franchises and retro games. To bring the Contra Anniversary Collection to life, KONAMI partnered with game developer M2 to expertly adapt these classics for modern gaming systems. Packaged together with Bonus Book extras, this digital exclusive collection provides a comprehensive look in to Contra’s history and beginnings.
The Contra Anniversary Collection is part of KONAMI’s 50th anniversary celebration compiling titles from its beloved franchises and retro games including the now available Castlevania Anniversary Collection andKonami Arcade Classics Anniversary Collection.
For more information, please visit us at: https://www.konami.com/games/50th/ac/
For more gaming news click HERE.